A peace deal was signed in Qatar on Saturday between the US and Afghanistan militant group Taliban. Meanwhile, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said-The agreement with the Taliban will be effective only when the Taliban works towards full peace. For this, the Taliban will have to break all their relations with the terrorist organization Al Qaeda. This agreement is an experiment in this area.
He said – We will keep an eye on the Taliban. The US will withdraw its army from Afghanistan only when it is fully confirmed that the Taliban will not carry out terrorist attacks in the international community. It was quoted by the news agency that the US would withdraw 8600 troops from Afghanistan. Apart from this, the things stated in the agreement will also be completed in 135 days.
The Important Points from US Taliban Deal
- US to reduce the number of forces in Afghanistan to 8,600 within 135 days of this joint declaration
- US and Coalition to complete withdrawal of their remaining forces from Afghanistan within 14 months of joint declaration
- The US commits to seek funds on a yearly basis to support the training, equipping, advising and sustaining of Afghan security forces
- Afghanistan will participate in a US-facilitated discussion with Taliban on confidence-building measures including the feasibility of releasing significant numbers of prisoners on both sides
- Afghanistan will seek to UN Security Council to remove members of the Taliban from the sanctions list by May 29, 2020
What actually happened between the US and the Taliban?
Following the 9/11 attacks, the US sent its troops to Afghanistan in 2001 to wage war against the Taliban. Here 2352 soldiers have been killed in a fight with terrorist groups. The US now wants the withdrawal of its troops from Afghanistan. For this, he had been in discussions with the Afghan government and Taliban representatives for a long time. However, the agreement on the peace deal was reached this week. President Trump gave the green signal to finalize the deal on Friday night.
President Trump said that if the government of Afghanistan and the Taliban live up to these commitments, then we will have a way to end the war in Afghanistan and bring our troops home. After all, it will depend on the people of Afghanistan to How it will work.
India’s role in the peace agreement
Ambassadors from 30 countries including India were invited to come to Doha for this agreement. This is the first time that India will officially attend an event involving the Taliban. India’s envoy to Qatar, P Kumaran will attend the ceremony after India was invited by the Qatar government. US President Donald Trump, who visited India on 24-25 February, had a discussion with Prime Minister Narendra Modi about this. Indian Foreign Secretary Harshvardhan Shringla arrived in Kabul on Friday night before the peace deal. He met President Ashraf Ghani and top government officials.