On Wednesday Britain reported 563 daily coronavirus deaths, the first time the national toll has exceeded 500, bringing the total fatalities to 2,352, according to official figures.
The health ministry said “As of 5pm (1600 GMT) on 31 March, of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 2,352 have sadly died. Some 29,474 people have now tested positive, an increase of 4,324 over the previous day”.
Britain locked down last week in an attempt to combat the virus, but Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who himself has tested positive, warned that it would “get worse before it gets better”.
The virus has also hit the royal family, with Prince Charles only coming out of isolation on Tuesday after displaying mild symptoms of the disease.
He said “On Wednesday he released a video message praising the “remarkable” state-run National Health Service. “None of us can say when this will end, but end it will .Until it does, let us all try and live with hope and, with faith in ourselves and each other, look forward to better times to come.”
A 13-year-old boy in London is thought to be the UK’s youngest known victim of the novel coronavirus.
King’s College Hospital in Camberwell, south London, said in a statement Tuesday that the teenager, who tested positive for Covid-19, had died. It said that its “thoughts and condolences” were with the boy’s family.
“Sadly, a 13-year old boy who tested positive for COVID-19 has passed away, and our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this time,” the statement read. “The death has been referred to the Coroner and no further comment will be made.”
According to a breakdown of victims of COVID-10 published by Britain’s office of National Statistics, the boy is thought to be the youngest known victim of the novel Coronavirus in the UK.