SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 03, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) —
John Maddison, EVP of Products and CMO at Fortinet
“No other firewall is better suited to support hyperscale and 5G. Not only is FortiGate 4800F the industry’s fastest compact hyperscale firewall, with 2.4 Tbps of capacity, but it is also the only 4RU chassis on the market that includes 400GbE, 200GbE, and 50GbE ports, which allows hyperscale customers and mobile network operators to seamlessly scale their business without disrupting operations. The combination of performance and scalability packed into our latest firewall will help future-proof organizations’ investments in hyperscale data centers, especially with the rise of 5G and as the volume and velocity of data continues to accelerate at an unprecedented pace.”
Fortinet® (NASDAQ: FTNT), a global leader in broad, integrated, and automated cybersecurity solutions, today announced the FortiGate 4800F series of hyperscale firewalls, which sets new standards for security, scale, performance, and innovation to meet the requirements of hyperscale customers and 5G mobile network operators (MNOs). Powered by 16 of Fortinet’s seventh generation network processors (NP7), FortiGate 4800F offers the highest performance figures of any compact firewall, with Security Compute Ratings that deliver up to 34x better performance than competitor solutions, including the ability to support an average of 19x more connections per second.
Large enterprises and MNOs are in the continual pursuit of doing more with less. When it comes to firewalls, higher performance in a smaller footprint means security becomes an enabler for 5G adoption, allowing mobile providers to deliver new use cases for enterprises and critical industries and infrastructure. It also ensures enterprise customers such as high-velocity e-retail, cutting-edge research facilities, financial institutions, and cloud providers have access to the performance, scalability, and security they need to meet escalating business needs. Reduced costs for space, cooling, and power are additional benefits to achieving higher performance in a smaller form factor.
With these outcomes in mind, Fortinet’s dedication to pushing the boundaries of what is possible in security performance has yielded the most powerful compact firewall yet: the FortiGate 4800F. With a 4RU chassis and 400GbE, 200GbE, and 50GbE interfaces, this latest model of Fortinet’s flagship line of firewalls enables MNOs to secure 5G networks with the following capabilities:
- Accelerates 5G adoption with secure IP connectivity and support for 19x more connections per second: 5G enables massive machine-to-machine communications that require secure IP connectivity to untrusted environments such as the internet, edge sites, and the cloud. The FortiGate 4800F enables MNOs to secure massive scale and performance for IP connectivity to external networks and domains with massive carrier-grade NAT (CGNAT) performance and hardware logging. To build capacity that meets the needs of today and the future, FortiGate 4800F supports 25 million connections per second to give MNOs the capacity they need to handle surges in traffic and large sustained loads of subscriber connections. Enterprises with ultra-performance needs can converge multiple firewalls into a single unified system, host on-premises applications, and deliver the required user experience.
- Secures 5G radio access network (RAN) traffic and core connectivity with 19x faster IPsec VPN performance: With the increased scale of 5G radio and the sharing of RAN between operators to reduce costs, the FortiGate 4800F provides a cost-effective security gateway (SecGW or SEG) to handle 5G’s RAN scalability and security requirements for both user and control planes.
FortiGate 4800F also delivers hyperscale security for hyperscale data centers with the following capabilities:
- Enables 400G ultra-fast data center interconnect: With 400GbE ports in a compact 4RU form factor, FortiGate 4800F enables organizations to connect and replicate data securely with ultra-fast elephant flows, while ensuring privacy and confidentiality to guarantee that all data and services are delivered close to the customers and partners. Enterprises with ultra-performance needs can converge multiple firewalls into a single unified system, host on-premises applications, and deliver the required user experience. In April 2021, Fortinet became the first vendor to deliver 400GbE ports on a hyperscale firewall via FortiGate 7121F, followed by the FortiGate 3700F in May 2022. FortiGate 4800F continues Fortinet’s legacy as the only vendor delivering 400GbE interfaces on a hyperscale firewall to support the most intensive hyperscale use cases.
- Removes blind spots with 6x faster SSL inspection: With as much as 95% of today’s traffic being encrypted, SSL-inspection has become critical to properly secure the network. While encrypted paths are meant to make traffic more secure, they also let bad actors hide malicious activity. To allow all encrypted traffic to be inspected while keeping up with the speed of today’s networks, FortiGate 4800F offers the industry’s highest SSL-inspection performance as well as support for the industry’s latest TLS 1.3 standard. This also ensures network blind spots are eliminated by enabling full visibility of clear-text and encrypted network flows.
- Secures hybrid IT architectures with VXLAN segmentation: Digital acceleration is only possible with hybrid IT architectures that seamlessly connect and secure on-prem and cloud assets. The FortiGate 4800F enables massively scalable hardware-accelerated Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) segmentation and allows super-fast communication between enormously scaled services, such as compute, storage, and applications that are co-hosted on physical and virtual platforms.
The entire FortiGate suite of next-generation and hyperscale firewalls supports organizations of all sizes with the following features:
- High-performance security at scale: FortiGuard AI-Powered Security Services deliver innovative real-time protection for known, zero-day and unknown threats, including IPS, DNS, AV, and inline sandbox, for datacenter edge and core deployments leveraging segmentation and more granular device (OT/IoT) as well as web and application security capabilities for comprehensive perimeter protection.
- Supports zero trust architectures with integrated universal ZTNA: FortiGate natively integrates universal zero trust network access (ZTNA) enforcement to support zero trust architectures. Setting up universal ZTNA with an on-prem or virtual FortiGate ensures that consistent policies and controls span across all operating environments, including across multiple clouds.
FortiGate 4800F vs. Competitors
Below is a comparison of the top firewalls on the market against the target performance numbers of the FortiGate 4800F series. Security Compute Rating is a benchmark (performance multiplier) that compares FortiGate performance versus the industry average of competing products across various categories that fall within the same price band.
|Palo Alto Networks
|Threat Protection5 ||70Gbps||1.5x||46Gbps||61.8Gbps||30Gbps||N/A||N/A|
|SSL Inspection ||55Gbps||5.5x||10Gbps||-||-||10Gbps||N/A|
- Non-SSD variant is available as well
- Performance with hyperscale license applied
- PAN: Calculated with 2xNC and 2xDPC cards
- Juniper: SRX5400E-B2
- Threat Protection includes FortiGuard Application Control, AI-Powered FortiGuard IPS, Anti-Virus, Logging and Sandbox security services
- Learn more about how the Fortinet Security Fabric delivers broad, integrated, and automated protection across an organization’s entire digital infrastructure.
- Learn more about FortiGuard Labs threat intelligence and research or Fortinet’s AI-powered FortiGuard Security Services portfolio.
- Learn more about Fortinet’s free cybersecurity training which includes broad cyber awareness and product training. As part of the Fortinet Training Advancement Agenda (TAA), the Fortinet Training Institute also provides training and certification through the Network Security Expert (NSE) Certification, Academic Partner, and Education Outreach programs.
- Read more about how Fortinet customers are securing their organizations.
- Engage in the Fortinet User Community (Fuse). Share ideas and feedback, learn more about our products and technology, and connect with peers.
- Follow Fortinet on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram. Subscribe to Fortinet on YouTube.
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) makes possible a digital world that we can always trust through its mission to protect people, devices, and data everywhere. This is why the world’s largest enterprises, service providers, and government organizations choose Fortinet to securely accelerate their digital journey. The Fortinet Security Fabric platform delivers broad, integrated, and automated protections across the entire digital attack surface, securing critical devices, data, applications, and connections from the data center to the cloud to the home office. Ranking #1 in the most security appliances shipped worldwide, more than 580,000 customers trust Fortinet to protect their businesses. And the Fortinet NSE Training Institute, an initiative of Fortinet’s Training Advancement Agenda (TAA), provides one of the largest and broadest training programs in the industry to make cyber training and new career opportunities available to everyone. Learn more at https://www.fortinet.com, the Fortinet Blog, or FortiGuard Labs.
Copyright © 2022 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and ™ denote respectively federally registered trademarks and common law trademarks of Fortinet, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates. Fortinet’s trademarks include, but are not limited to, the following: Fortinet, the Fortinet logo, FortiGate, FortiOS, FortiGuard, FortiCare, FortiAnalyzer, FortiManager, FortiASIC, FortiClient, FortiCloud, FortiCore, FortiMail, FortiSandbox, FortiADC, FortiAP, FortiAppEngine, FortiAppMonitor, FortiAuthenticator, FortiBalancer, FortiBIOS, FortiBridge, FortiCache, FortiCall, FortiCam, FortiCamera, FortiCarrier, FortiCASB, FortiCenter, FortiCentral, FortiConnect, FortiController, FortiConverter, FortiCWP, FortiDB, FortiDDoS, FortiDeceptor, FortiDirector, FortiDNS, FortiEDR, FortiExplorer, FortiExtender, FortiFirewall, FortiFone, FortiGSLB, FortiHypervisor, FortiInsight, FortiIsolator, FortiLocator, FortiLog, FortiMeter, FortiMoM, FortiMonitor, FortiNDR, FortiNAC, FortiPartner, FortiPenTest, FortiPhish, FortiPortal, FortiPresence , FortiProtect, FortiProxy, FortiRecorder, FortiReporter, FortiSASE, FortiScan, FortiSDNConnector, FortiSIEM, FortiSDWAN, FortiSMS, FortiSOAR, FortiSwitch, FortiTester, FortiToken, FortiTrust, FortiVoice, FortiVoIP, FortiWAN, FortiWeb, FortiWiFi, FortiWLC, FortiWLCOS and FortiWLM.
Other trademarks belong to their respective owners. Fortinet has not independently verified statements or certifications herein attributed to third parties and Fortinet does not independently endorse such statements. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, nothing herein constitutes a warranty, guarantee, contract, binding specification or other binding commitment by Fortinet or any indication of intent related to a binding commitment, and performance and other specification information herein may be unique to certain environments. This news release may contain forward-looking statements that involve uncertainties and assumptions, such as statements regarding technology releases among others. Changes of circumstances, product release delays, or other risks as stated in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, located at www.sec.gov, may cause results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in this press release. If the uncertainties materialize or the assumptions prove incorrect, results may differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Fortinet assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements, and expressly disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
The content is by Globe Newswire. Headlines of Today Media is not responsible for the content provided or any links related to this content. Headlines of Today Media is not responsible for the correctness, topicality or the quality of the content.