Xiaomi launched an affordable smartphone back in May 2018, called Xiaomi Redmi y2. The Redmi y2 comes with a 5.99-inch IPS display panel that supports 720 x 1440 pixels of resolutions. It runs on Android 8.1 Oreo operating system out of the box and the company already planned to upgrade it to Android 9.0 Pie which is based on MIUI 10. This great news for Redmi y2 users. The phone packed with Non-removable Li-Po 3080 mAh battery inside the body and comes with Fast battery charging 5V/2A 10W feature.
Xiaomi Redmi y2 powered by Octa-CPU which clocks at 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 under the hood along with Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625 (14 nm) chipset. On the board, the phone also has Adreno 506 GPU. The Redmi y2 available in 3 GB and 4 GB of RAM along with 32 GB and 64 GB internal storage, respectively. It also supports micro SD card up to 256 GB. The phone featured with dual camera sensors on the back side along with LED flash, 12-megapixel main camera and 5-megapixel secondary camera. On the front side, it has a 16megapixel camera for a selfie and video calls. It has a fingerprint scanner on the back side.
If you have this smartphone and want to install TWRP recovery on it and Root it then you are at the right place. Here in this article, we will guide you how to root Redmi y2 and install TWRP custom recovery on it. After rooting and install TWRP recovery on it you can do many things like installing Custom ROM, Kernel, Mods, even backup and restore any ROM.
Advantages of TWRP Recovery:
- You can flash Custom ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Y2 using TWRP
- You can flash modding zip files to customize your phone
- Easy to flash and use Xposed Modules using TWRP
- Easy to Root and Unroot using TWRP Recovery flashable zip SuperSU
- You can install Magisk on Xiaomi Redmi Y2
- Easy to Create and Restore Nandroid Backup using TWRP Recovery.
- Easy access to restore the Nandroid Backup.
- You can flash the image file using TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y2.
- Easy to remove all bloatware using TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y2.
- To underclock and overclock.
- You can clean Wipe, Cache, and Data.
We will not responsible if anything happens to your device during these steps. So proceed at your own risk.
- Make sure your device charged up to 70%.
- Make sure your device bootloader is unlocked.
- This tutorial is only for Redmi Y2. Don’t try it on other devices.
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your device.
- Setup Minimal ADB and Fastboot.
- Make sure you have installed proper drivers on your PC or Laptop for the Redmi Y2.
- Enable your device USB debugging and OEM unlock.
How to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Redmi Y2
- Download the TWRP zip file from the link mentioned above and rename it to recovery.img and transfer it into the ADB and Fastboot folder.
- Now open the Command prompt in ADB and Fastboot folder by the press and hold the shift key and click the right button of the mouse.
- Connect your device to PC or Laptop via USB cable.
- Write the following command to boot your device into Bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, write the following command.
- If you see the alphanumeric number with fastboot beside, then your device is connected successfully.
- write the following command
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- After complete, reboot your device.
- You have installed TWRP Recovery Successfully on your device.
How to root Redmi Y2
- Download the SuperSU zip file from the link mentioned above and transfer it to your device internal storage.
- Disconnect your device from PC or Laptop and reboot into recovery mode.
- Tap on the install and select the SuperSU zip file.
- After installation complete, go back to the main menu and reboot your device.
That’s it, you have successfully rooted your Xiaomi Redmi Y2 and installed TWRP custom Recovery. If you faced any problem during this process, let us know in the comment section.