Connect with us

Science

NASA’s Planet Hunting Satellite, ASTERIA, Lost The Connections

Published

on

ASTERIA
Spread the love

NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) announced about the loss of contact with its planet-hunting satellite, ASTERIA. ASTERIA is standardly known as, Arcsecond Space Telescope Enabling Research in Astrophysics, a briefcase-size Cubesat satellite that the experts prepared for discovering new exoplanets in our solar system, using tools and elements narrowed down for the small spaceship. Scientists trained the planet hunter also to study and analyse the exoplanets.

ASTERIA

NASA lost its communication with the planet-hunting satellite, ASTERIA

The was in control of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, in Pasadena, California.

NASA unveils that they had the last communication with ASTERIA on 5 December 2019.

NASA has launched a bid of a satellite to search their valueable satellite, up to March. After that, NASA will have to abandon the mission, in case if they get fail in the searching operation of the planet hunter.

ASTERIA was launched on November 20 2017, to know about existing exoplanets of our solar system.

NASA said the planet hunter satellite had been used to see the functionality of making the CubeSats additional autonomous along with the application of synthetic intelligence. Satellite completed its first mission in February 2018.

The Space agency further added that the planet hunter satellite also made the micro observations of the Earth, a comet and different satellites in geosynchronous orbit, and stars.

According to NASA JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory), The researchers and the scientists are searching for the mixture which approves any orbiting planet passing among the satellite.

Lorraine Fesq, software manager of ASTERIA, stated, “the spacecraft’s challenge accomplished stunning results at some point in its three-month prime venture and its nearly two-year-long additional test.”

she further added, “Although we are disappointed that we lost contact with the spacecraft, we are thrilled with all that we have accomplished with this impressive CubeSat.”

NASA had been lost its number of satellites into space, before ASTERIA.

  1. NASA hopes to find its lost satellite before March and to re-establish its connections with it.

 

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Asia News

China’s Mystery Virus Now Infecting Other Countries

Published

on

Spread the love

Since last month, several patients in a Chinese city have been showing symptoms similar to pneumonia from an unknown mystery virus. Health officials are worried as this could lead to a potential outbreak similar to SARS. New cases have been popping out in Japan and Thailand and as the evidence suggests, this unknown virus could be spread by human to human transmission.

On Thursday, Japan’s health ministry confirms that a thirty-year-old man had been tested positive for coronavirus strain after he was back from his visit from the Chinese city of Wuhan which is the epicenter of this virus outbreak. But, Japanese health officials said that a Chinese national was discharged from the hospital and no other cases were reported. The second case has been confirmed on Monday in Thailand were Thai authorities quarantined a 61-year-old woman who returned from Wuhan infected with the virus.

Experts have not been able to figure out how the virus spreads as no new patient visited the seafood market in Wuhan which has been identified as the outbreak’s original source. This has raised concerns as to the virus could have spread through the human transmission. Though the health officials could not verify this, there remains a huge possibility which means it could lead to a massive outbreak.

The World Health Organization on Thursday mentioned that though there seem to be cases with no link with the Huanan seafood market means that human to human transmission remains a high possibility. They even said that it is not surprising to hear new cases outside China and there could be more cases popping out in other countries in the future.

Last month this mystery virus appeared in Wuhan where one person died while 40 other infected people are hospitalized as their condition was critical with symptoms that included high fevers, invasive lung lesions, and breathing difficulties. Last week, few Chinese researchers identified the microbe behind the outbreak is a new strain of coronavirus and published the draft genome.

Coronaviruses are a huge virus family that causes several illnesses starting from the common cold to more harmful diseases like Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome(SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome(MERS). All this has brought back memories from the 2003 SARS outbreak in South China which killed 774 people.

Continue Reading

Science

All-Female Crew Will Conduct The First Spacewalk Of 2020

Published

on

Spread the love

On Wednesday morning, history got underway at the International Space Station where the second spacewalk will be conducted entirely by female astronauts.

Astronauts Jessica Meir and Christina Koch are from NASA who according to the plan is scheduled to replace batteries on solar arrays which are outside of the International Space Station during the first spacewalk of 2020. The live feed of the same will be broadcasted by CNN. You can watch it here.

On October, the same astronauts made history by successfully completing the first-ever all-female spacewalk. This happened after the all-female crew the spacewalk in March got because of the unavailability of suitable space suits.

According to NASA ‘s statement, Koch and Meir would be going to the International space station to replace nickel-hydrogen batteries with the newer Lithium-ion batteries on the ISS’s port truss that help store power generated by the solar arrays. The schedule says that on Monday they are conducting a second spacewalk to complete the battery replacement. These spacewalks would the second and third for Meir but the fifth said sixth for Koch.

If everything goes as planned, and the battery replacement is complete, European Space Agency astronauts Andrew Morgan and space station commander Luca Parmitano will leave the station on January 25th to complete finishing the installation of the new cooling apparatus for the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer(AMS). This has begun in November and December, but with this, they will verify that it’s ready for use.

The spectrometer works to identify and search for dark matter and antimatter in the universe. It does so by measuring the wavelengths of light over a wide range of the electromagnetic spectrum. This can be done when the incident light from a certain light source can be absorbed or reflected or transmitted through the sample in the spectrometer.

This spacewalk on Wednesday would be the 225th conducted at the International Space Station

Continue Reading

Europe

Denmark sets a new record as wind provides nearly half of its energy

Published

on

Spread the love

By sourcing around 47 percent of Denmark’s electricity from wind energy in 2019, Denmark sets a new record. On Thursday, Denmark’s grid operator Energinet announces that the amount of electricity produced by wind turbines went up from 41 per cent in 2018 to a little over 47 percent in 2019.

The total power generation from wind turbines at sea escalated to 18 per cent from 14 per cent last year while onshore wind turbines produced for 29 per cent.

When it comes to renewable energy, the country has been the world leader and way ahead of Ireland which is its nearest rival with only 28 per cent electricity generated from wind in 2018. According to the wind energy advocacy group, Wind Europe, wind energy is the second-largest power generation form in Europe at 14 per cent of electricity being produced by wind in the European Union.

The largest wind farm in Denmark and Scandinavia is Horns Rev 3 which started its functioning in August and is able to supply power to 425,000 Danish homes. This plant utilises 8.3MW turbines from MHI Vestas and was constructed. There are offshore wind energy farms as well which is based in the North Sea and has contributed further to Denmark’s higher electricity production from wind.

According to the renewable energy news site, Recharge, the country further plans to launch a bigger wind farm in the Danish Baltic Sea named Kriegers Flak in the year 2021.

Along with that, the country plans three other offshore 800MW wind farm projects is going to be worked on and built which was in the 2018 Energy Agreement. One of them is named Thor that would be based in the North Sea and would go out for tender this year and is further due by 2027.

By the year 2030, Denmark’s left-wing political government increased its climate protection goals in July and is aiming to reduce emissions by 70 per cent.




Continue Reading

Headlines

ISRO Chandrayaan 2: About it; Why was it called off? What is planned next?

Published

on

ISRO Chandrayaan 2
Spread the love

Chandrayaan-2 mission was described as one of the most complex ever undertaken by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). Chandryaan-2 was going to be carried to its designated orbit by ISRO’s most powerful launcher 640-tonne GSLV MK-III or “Bahubali”, a three-stage vehicle which is capable of launching 4-tonne class of satellites to the Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) in the space.

It was planned that 973.7 seconds after lift-off from Sriharikota, Chandryaan-2, carrying with it the Lander-Vikram and the Moon Rover-Pragyaan, will get separated from the rocket and head to the south pole of the Moon. The journey of Chadrayaan 2 is expected to take nearly two months (54 days) from the launch date. The distance between the earth and the moon is calculated to be about 3.844 lakh km, and the lander-orbiter separation will take place on the 50th day of the journey.
The Lander named Vikram is designed to make a soft landing on the Moon after the vessel reaches the Moon’s Surface and then the Rover, Pragyaan will then roll out to carry out the designated experiments. The landing of the lander Vikram was planned between two of the craters on the Moon and the rover Pragyaan, to travel up to 0.5 km at a speed of one centimeter per second and to communicate with the lander.
The rover will utilize solar energy for its functioning. All the important components of the modules of Chandrayaan-2 were manufactured by Union government-run center in the capital city of Odisha, Bhubaneswar. These components include seven specific assemblies for navigation and inertial momentum of the orbiter in addition to the limbs of the rover ‘Pragyaan’ have also been manufactured by the center at Bhubaneswar. The center had started manufacturing the Chandrayaan-2’s parts in March 2017. In a statement to the media, ISRO said that through the launch of Chandrayaan-2, the space agency aimed to improve the understanding of the Moon, which could lead to discoveries that will benefit our country India and humanity as a whole.

The Decision To Call Off

https://twitter.com/isro/status/1150520298761936896

ISRO officials claimed that every one of the thirteen modules had its own set of scientific experiments and objectives. The lander and rover will only be functional for fourteen days or one lunar day whereas the Orbiter will continue its mission for a year. If everything goes according to plan, the lander will touchdown near the South Pole of the Moon on 6 September 2019.

Former Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) scientist Ravi Gupta gave the decision to call off Monday’s launch of the second lunar mission Chandrayaan-2 and said that it was done at the right time before the occurrence of any big mishap with the vessel.

Chandrayaan 2, the successor to ISRO’s Chandrayaan 1 mission that confirmed the presence of water on the moon – a landmark achievement – was scheduled to spend 14 Earth days checking for more water reserves on the Moon but due to the cancellation of the mission, it is postponed till further notice.

What Now?

Apart from its disheartening tweet announcing that the Chandrayaan-2 mission has been called off, for now, the Indian Space Research Organisation has also not said much about what happens next.

However, a report by the news agency Indo-Asian News Service (IANS), said that the space agency will now focus on investigating what went wrong on the GSLV Mk-III and will soon provide a new launch date.

Significantly, the problem was observed on board the Rocket and not the Chandrayaan-2 payload, which means that the entire mission is not currently in jeopardy and will surely take a slightly long time to be rectified.

ISRO’s Public Relations Officer (PRO) Guruprasad said the revised launch date will be announced sooner. Till then let us wait for the announcements of ISRO. Keep connected with us to be updated with the latest and trending news every day. Hope to see you soon.




Continue Reading

Health

Birth control pills have been associated to an increased risk of breast cancer in new research

Published

on

Birth control pills
Spread the love

Birth control pills can build a woman’s risk of breast cancer disease by up to 38%, contingent upon to what extent she has taken it, another investigation finds.

The risk was related to all types of hormonal contraception -, for example, the pill, infusions or IUDs – when contrasted and women who have never utilized them.

Analysts from the University of Copenhagen investigated information from 1.8 million women younger than 50 in Denmark. They took after the women for about 11 years, on average

The level of breast cancer chance expanded the more drawn out a woman had been taking hormonal contraceptives, with the normal risk increment being 20% among all present and late clients of these types of contraceptives.

The analysts saw a 9% expanded breast cancer risk among women taking hormonal contraceptives for under multi-year, ascending to 38% if over 10 years.

Among women who had been utilizing birth control pills for over five years, a slight risk held on for no less than five years after they quit, as per the investigation distributed Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The outcomes proposed a “fast vanishing of abundance danger of cancer growth after stopping of utilization among women who have utilized hormonal contraceptives for brief periods,” the writers write in the paper. The authors noticed that different examinations have discovered no confirmation of a persistent risk.

In a going with an article, David Hunter, teacher of the study of disease transmission and solution at the Nuffield Department of Population Health in the UK, said that the connection between oral contraceptives and breast cancer is as of now fixed. Be that as it may, this new examination is essential since it took a gander at more up to date arrangements of contraceptives, he told to sources

“These results don’t propose that a specific arrangement is free of risk,” he wrote in the publication.

Nonetheless, Hunter likewise focuses on that “cancer growth remains generally uncommon in more youthful women.” In women fewer than 35 incorporated into the examination, taking hormonal contraceptives for short of what multiyear brought about 1 additional case for every 50,000 women, he said.

“The quantity of cases increments with age in light of the fact that the danger of breast cancer expanded with age,” said Hunter.

Seeker likewise includes that the productive risk found in the examination “ought to be viewed as a primer,” with the expansion probably not going to be huge when different elements, for example, unique terms of utilization and time since last utilize, are represented.

Declination of breast cancer risk after stopping birth control pills

“The risk declines after some time since stopping their utilization,” said Hunter, featuring that once women achieve the age when cancer growth rates top – ages 50 to 70 – they are not exceptionally affected by whether they took the hormonal contraceptives.

Low cancer growth rates were seen among more youthful woman – with rates right around five times higher in women in their 40s than women in their 30s, he writes in the article and includes that women in their late 40s ought to maybe examine non-hormonal preventative alternatives with their doctor.

“The advantages (against these different growths) endure for one to two decades,” he stated, while breast cancer risk decreases all the more quickly. “Generally speaking, it might be more painful.”

Be that as it may, the look must proceed for chance free choices, he finished up. “A considerable measure of force has gone,” he said. “Be that as it may, this investigation reminds us this is a vital target.”

Women who stayed on hormones for 10 or more years encountered a 38 percent swell in their relative risk of increasing breast cancer, contrast with nonusers. By contrast, there was no increased risk for breast cancer observed in women who used hormones for less than one year.

In Denmark, older women who have finished their families are most likely to employ I.U.D.’s, including those control hormones, and they are previously more likely to develop breast cancer because of their age, Dr. Morch said.

The examination was bolstered by a grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation, which portrays itself as “an autonomous Danish establishment with corporate interests,” supporting therapeutic research at open organizations and by organizations inside the Novo Group.




Continue Reading

Get more Headlines

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

Trending