The UEFA Champions League has reached its quarter-finals stage. This year’s competition as seen many turnarounds and some unexpected results. A major highlight of this year league till now is the early exit of the current Champions and the most successful club “Real Madrid”. They were knocked out by the Dutch club “AFC Ajax” in the round of sixteen.
The other highlighting thing is that out of the 8 teams in the quarter-final round 4 teams belong to England. This year English teams have ruled the European football which was not seen from many years. Considering how difficult English teams have fared in the past, it would be interesting to see how they play in this year’s competition.
Overall there were many unexpected results in this year UEFA Champions League but the most unexpected results came in the round of 16.
Some unexpected results in the round of 16 which shocked many football fans were
- Ajax beating the present Champions of Champions League Real Madrid
- Manchester United beating French Champions PSG
- Liverpool beating French Champions Bayern Munich
Quarter Finals Draw
The draw for the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals is out. The quarterfinals first leg will begin on 10th April after the International break.
|Liverpool (EN)||FC Porto (POR)|
|Tottenham (EN)||Manchester City (EN)|
|Ajax (DUT)||Juventus (ITA)|
|Barcelona (SPA)||Manchester United (EN)|
On paper, FC Porto and AFC Ajax may be little weak as compared to other six teams but one must not forget the game of FC Porto and AFC Ajax in the round of 16.
UEFA has changed its draw system from this year. Unlike previous year the UEFA Champions League Semi-Finals round draws has been finalized along with the quarters –finals round.
- The 1st Semifinal will be played between the winners of quarterfinals number 1 and quarterfinal number 3 i.e. Winner of the match between Liverpool vs FC Porto and the winner of the match between Ajax vs Juventus.
- The 2nd Semifinal will be played between the winners of quarter-final 2 and quarterfinal 4 i.e. Winner of the match between Tottenham vs Manchester City and the winner of the match between Barcelona vs Manchester United.
- The Champions League 2019 final will be played at Wanda Metropolitano in Madrid.
The winner of the semi-final number 1 will be playing at Wanda Metropolitano as their home ground.