The first round of World Cup 2018 came to end with some of the most unexpected circumstances. With some of the great performances from the underdogs, some of the big sharks are off the tournament. Germany, the defending champions are out of the tournament in the first round and that gave chance to the players of the small teams to win the Golden Boot award. The below is the list of the players who can win the said in this year’s campaign of World Cup.
- Harry Kane: With only 180 minutes on the pitch, the Tottenham Hotspurs striker has scored 5 goals and is currently the leading goal scorer of the tournament. England has a game left in their group matches against Belgium and Kane will try to use this one game advantage to increase the lead from his other contenders. England has some great scoreline in their group games and it is pretty sure they will continue to do the same in the upcoming matches too. Thus, Harry Kane is one of the most prominent contenders for the Golden Boot 2018.
- Romero Lukaku: With 4 goals in his name, the Manchester United striker is currently the second highest goal scorer of the tournament. One more thing which should be kept in mind is being in the Group H of the tourney, Belgium forward has played a game less than that of his other contenders. Belgium will face England in the last game of their group stage and they are also qualifying the next round of the tournament. This will give some more games to play and eventually he is now one of the most promising contenders for the Golden Boot.
- Christiano Ronaldo: One of the greatest of all times is jointly the second highest goal scorer of the tournament alongside with Romero Lukaku. The Portugal striker has shown some great football throughout the tournament and is surely a great contender for 2018 Golden Boot Portugal has also qualified for the round of 16 and will face Uruguay in the same. The world hoping to see some goals in Ronaldo’s name. With 4 goals in 3 matches, Ronaldo will continue his journey towards the prestigious Golden Boot award.
- Denis Cheryshev: This is quite an expected name in this list. With 3 goals in 3 matches, the Russian striker is also in the verge winning the Golden Boot award in this year’s World cup. The local boy has shown a few great finishes and if Russia continues to play well in the tournament Denis cal very well clinch the award from some of the know names of the football world.
- Diego Costa: With 3 goals in 3 matches, the Chelsea striker joins the race of winning the golden boot award for the 2018 World Cup. Spain has qualified pretty easily in the next round of the tournament and will face Russia in their pre-quarterfinal match. There are some possibilities of a bog scoreline and Diego Costa can well contribute here too. In a word, the Spanish forward is quite a contender for Golden Boot.
It can be well said that there are a few players who will fight for the leading goal scorer award. However, the above is the list of the most prominent competitors for this award.