Connect with us

Asia News

Israel suspends plan to send African migrants to West

Published

on

Share

The issue has already been proven highly controversial in Israel. The Middle East is all buzzing about the decision taken by the Israeli Prime Minister. The man behind all these talks is Benjamin Netanyahu. The Israeli PM has suspended a deal with the United States to give residency to thousands of African migrants instead of settling them in Western countries.

The scheme is a five-year agreement with the United States refugee agency. This says 16,250 African migrants who have entered the country in an illegal way and seeking asylum would be resettled in western countries. It may contain  Germany, Italy, and Canada according to Mr. Netanyahu. He told earlier Monday that for every resettled migrant overseas, Israel would provide a “temporary residence”. The plan provided a replacement of the plan to forcibly send male Africans to third countries (Africa) irrespective of their desires. It is Uganda and Rwanda along with Israel’s Supreme Court who had blocked deportations meant to begin on Sunday.

The Israeli Govt has faced criticism from the anti-migrant communities in southern Tel Aviv and powerful politicians in his own governing coalition for striking the deal.

Jewish Home Party head Naftali Bennett said the deal, “total surrender to the false campaign in the media.”

Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked gave his statement that he is among them he came to know about the deal after it got announced.

There are 42,000 African migrants and most of them are from Eritrea. It is a one-party state whose leaders have been accused of crimes against humanity and war infected Sudan by a UN inquiry. According to them, they fled their home country to escape their inevitable destiny of destruction, but Israel has found the majority of African asylum seekers to be economic migrants. Most of them have entered from Egypt before the new fence was built along the desert border.

A decision was taken back in January that a lump sum cash and a plane ticket would be given to the African migrants and ask them to leave Israel voluntarily or otherwise may face forced expulsion. Some critics and the Jewish community abroad pointed this scheme as unethical and did yellow journalism on Israel’s international image. Though the opposition party was “baseless and absurd” according to the PM, the plan was kept on hold.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Asia News

#Delhiviolence: The SC sent petition to file case against politicians on inflammatory statements

Published

on

Share

The Supreme Court on Wednesday heard the petitions filed in connection with the violence in the capital last week. The apex court sent a petition to the Delhi High Court for filing an FIR against BJP leaders Kapil Mishra, Pravesh Verma, Abhay Verma and Anurag Thakur, filed on behalf of the 10 violence victims. The Supreme Court asked the Chief Justice of Delhi High Court to hear them on Friday (March 6). Meanwhile, the central government accused former bureaucrat Harsh Mander of making inflammatory statements. The Supreme Court asked for an affidavit from the Center to hear the case on its own.

Harsh Mander

While allegations and counter-allegations about Mander’s statement were continuing in the court, the bench asked Senior Advocate Colin Gonzalves, present there, whether Mander had made any statement against the government and Parliament? On this, Mehta intervened and said- Harsh Mander has given seriously objectionable statements. Mehta also referred to some of his statements before the court. At the same time, Gonzalves said that he was previously Mander’s lawyer, but now is advocating for the violence victims.

During the hearing, the bench asked Mehta to furnish the affidavit along with written details of the alleged inflammatory statements. The court also said that it would not hear any of their pleas before the judgment on the allegations of inflammatory statements against Mandar. Subsequently, the court continued hearing the petition for filing FIR against BJP leaders Kapil Mishra, Pravesh Verma, Abhay Verma, and Anurag Thakur, filed on behalf of 10 riot victims. Later, the apex court sent his petition to the High Court.

The Supreme Court also directed the Chief Justice of the High Court to hear the plea of ​​the violence-affected as soon as possible and add other related petitions. The apex court asked the High Court to hear other petitions related to the violence in the capital after April.

Continue Reading

Asia News

Hong Kong Protest Movement Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Published

on

Share

Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement gets nominated for Nobel Peace prize 2020 by US Senator Marco Rubio and Representative James McGovern. China’s co-chair and chair of Congressional-Executive Commission sent the Nobel Peace Prize Committee a nomination letter for Hong Kong as the city was able to organize impressive and coherent protest movement without any leader yet being flexible. According to the letter, this prize would honour millions of people in the city who has bravely inspired the world with immense determination.

This pro-democracy movement began last June over a now axed extradition bill. The protest demonstrators still continue to demand an independent probe into the conduct of police as well as pardon for those who were arrested along with to stop characterizing protests as riots.

This nomination was also signed by Representatives like Chris Smith, Thomas Suozzi and Tom Malinowski, as well as Senators like Jeffrey Merkley, Steve Daines and Todd Young. The letter mentioned that Hongkongers were able to demonstrate civility in courage with extraordinary leadership and strong commitment to free Hong Kong and make it democratic state that would uphold law and order and fundamental human rights and freedom.

There were many like Liu Xiaobo who also made sacrifices to speak up for human rights and got sentenced for the same. His charges were that he was inciting subversion of state power. he was sentenced to 11 years of imprisonment where he passed away in 2017. In 2010, he was even awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his long and non-violent protest for fundamental human rights in China. As he was absent, the prize was presented to an empty chair at the ceremony. Since his death, his widow Liu Xia was under house arrest for several years.

The letter even mentioned that the US and the UK have suspended the sale of police and crowd control equipment to Hong Kong which the government has been accused to use against peaceful protestors excessively and unnecessarily. Last year, Guri Melby who is a Norwegian lawmaker also nominated Hongkongers for the prize as a way to further encourage the movement.

Continue Reading

Asia News

Sri Lankan Government Finally Admits That 20,000 Missing Tamilians Are Dead

Published

on

Share

The new Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa finally admits that the 20,000 missing Tamilians who disappeared during the nation’s civil war are dead. At that time during the civil war, Mr Rajapaksa worked as the defence secretary and he led the government victory over Tamil soldiers but he and his forces were accused of carrying out mass executions and disappearances.

This is the first time that the government has publicly admitted the fact even though it is a complicated affair and the conflict ended in 2009. According to local media reports, this move is revealed as he is about to introduce legislation that would grant immunity to people who carried out abuses.

Mr Rajapaksa announced this during a meeting with the United Nations representative in Colombo saying that official death certificates would be issued. In his announcement, he said that this admission would bring closure to families hoping that Tamil politicians would not use this as a way to cause unrest. According to local media reports today, Mr Rajapaksa is all set to introduce laws that would grant immunity to members of the government who have been accused of human rights violations during the war.

Sri Lanka’s civil war began in 1983 and went on for 26 years till 2009 which is said to have claimed around 100,000 lives. The war was fought along ethnic and religious lines where the Buddhist Sinhalese majority government won over the Hindu Tamil minority which tried to fight for independence.

While atrocities were committed by both sides the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights has reports of government troops carrying out unlawful killings, enforced disappearance and gender-based violence on the Tamil population. These abuses in the final year of the conflict have been considered a few of the worst human rights abuses in history.

There were footages captured in mobile phones showing government soldiers executing blindfolded civilians. There was even heavy artillery launched in the so-called no-fire zone killing around 70,000 civilians most of which were Tamilians. Human Rights Watch even documented disappearances of Tamil activists and journalists.

Continue Reading

Asia News

Thailand claims to cure corona virus with anti-Hiv drug cocktail

Published

on

Share

On Sunday, the health ministry in Thailand said that a Chinese woman who was infected with the infamous new coronavirus has shown drastic improvements after she was treated with a cocktail of anti-viral drugs that are used to treat both flu and HIV.

During the health ministries daily press briefing, Dr Kriengsak Attipornwanich said that the 71-year-old patient tested negative for the novel coronavirus 48 hours after the Thai doctors gave her the combination. He even said that along with her positive test turning negative in 48 hours, the patient was extremely exhausted but was able to sit straight 12 hours after the drugs cocktail was given.

This drug cocktail had a combination of the anti-flu drug oseltamivir along with anti-virals like lopinavir and ritonavir which are used to treat HIV. The health ministry is still awaiting proper research results to prove the findings.

This good news comes in as soon as coronavirus claims the first life outside China of a 44-year-old Chinese man in the Philippines while the number of deaths has crossed 330. As per now, Thailand had detected 19 confirmed cases of the virus which has said to have broken out from Wuhan city in China which now is under lockdown. The country seems to have the second-highest number of cases outside China after Japan with 20 people suffering from the novel coronavirus.

Till now only eight patients were able to recover and go back home while the remaining 11 still are in the hospital. According to the video released on Sunday, Anutin Charnvirakul who is the health minister of Thailand visited this patient from Wuhan who has recovered from the coronavirus. He chatted with her in Mandarin and she thanked him and the medical staff.

Thailand’s government is now battling public criticism that the country is lagging behind to evacuate several Thai citizens from the Hubei province which is the centre of the outbreak. According to Anutin Charnvirakul, the evacuation would take place on Tuesday and the people would be kept in quarantine for 14 days.

Continue Reading

Asia News

Coronavirus Kills First Patient Outside China

Published

on

Share

On Saturday, the Philippines confirmed that one of the men who tested positive for the novel coronavirus has died. This 44-year-old man was the second confirmed coronavirus case in the Philippines. According to the officials of the Department of Health in the Philippines, he was the companion of a 38-year-old woman who was the first confirmed case. They were among the 24 other patients who were tested for the virus but only they turned out to be positive.

Both of them were from Wuhan in China which is the epicentre of this outbreak. On Sunday, Chinese officials said that the virus has caused deaths of 304 people and infected around 14,380. Dr Rabi Abeyasinghe who is a World Health Organization representative in the Philippines said on twitter that this is first reported death outside China but however it is necessary to know that this person came from Wuhan China.

On January 25th the man was admitted to the San Lazaro Hospital in Manila after he showed symptoms of fever, cough and sore throat. According to the officials, this man had severe pneumonia because of viral and bacterial infections before stabilizing in his last few days. Yet, his condition kept deteriorating drastically in the last 24 hours leading to his death.

Francisco T. Duque III who is the Health Secretary said in his statement that we would like to let people know that this was an imported case and there is no evidence of local transmission as of now. They are currently working with the Chinese Embassy to ensure that his remains are managed respectfully according to national and international standards to contain the disease.

Coronavirus is a large family of viruses that mostly infect animals. But some can evolve and spread to human beings as well. Symptoms in humans include fever, coughing and shortness of breath which can extend to pneumonia.

Continue Reading

Trending