Connect with us

News

Hundreds Turn-Up At World War II Veteran’s Funeral Who Had No Surviving Relatives

Published

on

Spread the love

Jim Auton who was a World War II veteran died at the age of 95 in January. Hundreds of people turn-up for his funeral as he was awarded 20 medals by six different countries. He was even declared friend of Poland. Unfortunately, he had no surviving relatives who might have attended his funeral.

He is claimed to have been the last British member of Warsaw Air Bridge where supplies were dropped to help Polish resistance fighters. Several veteran groups also put out an appeal to be able to attend his service in Newark. On Thursday, hundreds of people answered the call and came to the funeral to pay respects including fellow veterans.

his coffin was covered in a Union Jack and carried by a guard into the St. Mary Magdalene. He was later buried in Newark Cemetry which was close to Warsaw Air Bridge Memorial which he campaigned for and helped to plan in 1989.

During the 1944 Warsaw Uprising, Mr Auton flew 37 missions with 178 Squadron. He even dropped vital weapons to then Britain’s Polish allies. This mission which lasts 63 days was an unsuccessful attempt to help liberate Polish capital from the Nazis. During this operation killed more than 150,000 civilians lives and destroyed huge parts of the city.

After the war was over, Auton was awarded several honours which included the Polish Presidential Gold Order of Merit and the Soviet Union War Veterans’ Medal. Later in 2000, he was made an MBE. In words of Mr Auton’s caretaker Paul Trickett, Mr Auton was a remarkable man and had many stories to tell about what he and his comrades did for the people of Warsaw which he was immensely proud of.

According to Polish Ambassador Arkady Rzegocki, Mr Auton was a brave and determined man who risked his life to aid Polish resistance by not only being a part of airdrops during the uprising but also working tirelessly to commemorate all of those people who died trying to liberate the country. Rzegocki even said that the Polish people are grateful forever to his efforts calling Auton an example for future generations.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Headlines

Who is Justice Muralidhar? Why he has been transferred?

Published

on

Spread the love

On 26 Feb Wednesday morning, a bench of Justice Muralidhar and Justice Talwant Singh heard the petition of social activist Harsh Mander on Delhi Riots. During this time, the police were reprimanded for not taking action against the leaders who gave statements and provocative statements in Delhi. It was said that to stop the violence, strict steps need to be taken immediately. We will not allow a situation like 1984 to happen in Delhi. Therefore, those who are leaders with Z Security should go among the people. Explain to them, so that they can have confidence in them. During the hearing, Justice Muralidhar had ordered the Delhi Police Commissioner to watch all the videos of inflammatory speeches. He also played a viral video of BJP leader Kapil Mishra in the court.

Now he has been transferred to Punjab and Haryana High Court. He was third in the seniority order of judges in the High Court. The Law Ministry issued a notification for his transfer late on Wednesday night. It said that President Ramnath Kovind took this decision after consultations with Chief Justice of India SA Bobde.

Earlier on February 12, the Supreme Court Collegium recommended the transfer of three judges including Justice Muralidhar. However, two other judges were not transferred. The Delhi High Court Bar Association last week demanded a reconsideration of the transfer from the collegium.

On this, Congress criticized the government but the government bided that everything is done as per rules. The Congress has questioned the Modi government’s intention to transfer the High Court judge overnight. Rahul Gandhi tweeted – Remember the brave judge Loya, who was not transferred. At the same time, Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad defended the decision of the government and said that everything has been done according to the procedure.

Who is Justice Muralidhar?

Justice Muralidhar started advocacy in the Supreme Court and the Delhi High Court in 1987. He has been known for fighting cases without fees, including the Bhopal gas tragedy and the Narmada dam victims. Later he was counsel for the National Human Rights Commission and the Election Commission of India and a part-time member of the Law Commission from December 2002. Delhi University awarded him a Ph.D. in 2003. In 2006, he was appointed a judge in the Delhi High Court. Justice Muralidhar is known for his stern remarks about communal violence and personal liberty. He sentenced the PAC jawans convicted in the Hashimpura massacre of Uttar Pradesh. In addition, in the 1984 riot case, Congress leader Sajjan Singh was convicted. In 2009, He has been involved in the bench which gave the verdict on discrimination against homosexuals.

Continue Reading

Health

Deadly COVID-19 Infects Iran’s, Deputy Health Minister

Published

on

Spread the love

The deputy health minister of Iran as well as an MP both have tested positive for Covid-19 as Iran struggles t contain the outbreak that killed around 15 people in the country. The country has become a part of one of the three areas outside China where the virus has turned pandemic.

Iraj Harirchi who is the deputy minister on Monday tried to deny covering up of the scale of the outbreak. He seems uncomfortable while he spoke to the reported. As of the latest reports, Iran has 95 cases of Covid19 but it is claimed that the actual number could be higher. On Tuesday, Mahmoud Sadeghi, an MP from Tehran also said he tested positive for the virus.

According to the WHO, this sudden increase in cases in Iran is deeply concerning. On Tuesday, Mike Pompeo who is the US Secretary of State claimed that Washington was concerned as Iran might have concealed important details about the outbreak asking all countries to tell the truth about what they know.

After China, more people ended up dying in Iran from the virus than any place. The two countries have really strong trading links. Other cases people are concerned about is that of South Korea and Italy.

Worldwide more than 80,000 cases of Covid-19 were registered since the virus strain causing severe respiratory disease emerged in 2019. Out of the total, about 2,700 patients died who were majorly in China. But the situation with Iran is unique as it is home to holy sites attracting millions every year. Secondly, the health systems in the region are weak creating a potential threat of a mass outbreak in the Middle East.

The issue has further gone downhill for Iran as the country is refusing to impose quarantine in areas which are affected by the outbreak as quarantine in the government opinion is old fashioned. The Shia shrines in the cities of Qom and Mashhad are kept open even though Qom is the hotbed of the virus.

Medical equipment have also gone dry and many medical professionals are infected. It won’t be soon when there are hardly enough qualified doctors or nurses to attend the people.

Continue Reading

Africa

Women With HIV Are Sterilized Without Consent In South Africa’s State Hospitals

Published

on

Spread the love

According to an investigation conducted by the South African government’s Commission for Gender Equality, state hospitals have sterilised few pregnant women who were HIV positive without their consent. This investigation began after a 2015 complaint by Women’s Legal Centre a non-profit organization which was able to document around 48 cases even if the women were forced or coerced into giving consent for the procedure while being pregnant.

On Tuesday, in the 57-page report of the Commission for Gender Equality said that the medical staff has breached their duty of care and subjected women to inhumane treatment. Many of these doctors and nurses told these pregnant women that HIV positive women should not have children as there are really few chances of them surviving if they did not sterilize. According to an affidavit by one woman, many even signed forms that they did not understand, agreeing to the procedure as the nurse would dismiss all their concerns.

The commission asked the Ministry of Health to look into the matter and act accordingly while providing redressal to women who were affected. Zweli Mkhize who is the Health Minister said that he would meet the commissioner to further discuss the report later on Tuesday.

In a statement given by Nasreen Solomons who is an attorney in the Women’s Legal Centre’s sexual and reproductive health and rights program, said that though the report did not mention the number of women who were affected, we can still assume that the practice is still occurring.

According to statistics, the prevalence rate of HIV in South Africa is 13 per cent making it the country with the biggest HIV epidemic in the world. In South Africa, around 7.7 million people live with this virus which caused AIDS. the impact of this epidemic on family and life expectancy has caused large stigmatization of those who are affected by the virus.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

President Donald Trump and PM Narendra Modi major agreements

Published

on

Trump_modi
Spread the love

After a first day vist of US President Donald Trump and US First Lady Melania Trump were accorded a ceremonial reception by President Ram Nath Kovind at the Rashtrapati Bhawan. Following this, the Trumps went to Raj Ghat to pay their respects to the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi. Trump and Modi later met at Hyderabad House for a round of restricted dialogue as well as delegation-level talks. Both the heads of states issued a joint press statement. Here are some of the highlights from Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump’s address to media.

“Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed”.

  • Terrorism: “Today, the deal on internal security will further strengthen this cooperation. We’ve bolstered efforts to ensure the perpetrators of terrorism take the blame,” said Modi.
  • Defence ties: “Today we discussed every aspect of the US-India partnership, be it defence and security, energy strategic partnership, trade or people to people ties. The strengthening in defence ties between India and US is an important aspect of our partnership.”
  • Growth in bilateral trade: “Our bilateral trade has witnessed double digit growth in the last three years, and has also become more balanced.”
  • Indians leading US firms: “Indo-US partnership,innovation and enterprise is establishing new milestones for Industry 4.0 and other emerging technologies of the 21st century. The talent of Indian professionals has emboldened the technological leadership of American companies.”
  • India-US trade deal: “We’ve also agreed to start negotiations on a massive trade deal. We hope that we will get positive results, benefitting both. At the global level, our relationship is depended on the similar democratic values we share.”

“What US President Donald Trump said to Media”.

  • $3 billion deal: “Earlier today we expanded our defence cooperation with agreements for India to purchase more than $3 billion of advanced American military equipment, including Apache & MH-60 Romeo Helicopters – finest in the world. These will enhance our joint defence capabilities”
  • Islamic terrorism: “We have agreed to cooperate in dealing with radical Islamic terrorism and protect our citizens. We are resolved to eliminate terror operations on Pakistan soil.”
  • 5G network: “During our visit we discussed the importance of a secure 5G wireless network and the need for this emerging technology to be a tool for freedom, progress, prosperity, not to do anything with where it could be even conceived as a conduit for suppression and censorship.”
  • On the welcome the Trumps received in India: “Melania and I have been awed by the majesty of India and the exceptional generosity and kindness of the Indian people. We will always remember the magnificent welcome the citizens of your home state (of PM Modi) showed us upon arrival.”
  • On increasing US exports to India: “Our teams have made tremendous progress for a comprehensive trade agreement & I’m optimistic we can reach a deal of great importance to both countries. Since I took office, US exports to India are up nearly 60% & exports of high quality American energy have grown by 500%.
Continue Reading

India News

A Head constable died, and a martyr DCP injured during the volatile conditions in Delhi over CAA

Published

on

Spread the love

On Sunday In Zafarabad, Maujpur, and Bhajanpura, CAA supporters and opponents came face to face. The situation went volatile again on Monday as stones were pelted in north-east Delhi over the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA). It is being told that during this time head constable of Gokalpuri police station, Ratan Lal, died and Shahdara’s DCP Amit Sharma has been injured.

On it DCP (North-East) Delhi Ved Prakash Surya said that we have spoken to both the sides. Now the situation is under control. There have been reports of injuries to some people in the violence.

The miscreants set fire to several vehicles. The petrol pump in Bhajanpura was also set on fire. Police fired tear gas in order to control the crowd. A heavy police force has also been deployed in the area.

Where It all started from?

Previously on Sunday Violence took place. The BJP leader Kapil Mishra and his supporters were reciting Hanuman Chalisa in support of CAA near Maujpur in Jafrabad, Delhi. At the same time, stone-pelting started between the opponents and supporters of CAA.

In view of the fierce demonstration in Zafarabad, the Delhi Metro closed all the gates of Zafarabad and Maujpur-Babarpur stations. The stoppage of metro trains was also banned. Roads connecting Salimpur to Yamuna Vihar and Maujpur were also closed due to the protest on Sunday. Delhi Metro tweeted – Entry-exit gates of Zafarabad and Mojpur-Babarpur stations have been closed. Trains will also not stop at these stations.

On February 23, cases have been registered against four people for violence in different areas of Delhi. A case has been registered against one person in the Zafarabad-Welcome area and two against Dayalpur. People involved in the violence are being identified.

Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal telephoned Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal and Home Minister Amit Shah to discuss law and order in the city. Kejriwal tweeted – Reports of violence from different parts of Delhi are worrying.

Now Prohibitory orders under Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) have been imposed in 10 locations of North East Delhi as violence during protests for and against the new citizenship law intensified in the area.

Continue Reading
Subscribe Headlines of Today

Get more Headlines

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

Trending