Former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee was on Friday conferred with the Bharat Ratna, the nation’s highest civilian honour, by President Pranab Mukherjee at a brief ceremony at his home.
But did you ever know the benefits of being a ‘Bharat Ratna holder’?
Here are seven benefits individuals who hold that prestigious award can avail–
1. Free flight tickets-– He or she can avail free first class flight journey anywhere in India
2. Free tickets for Indian Railways-– He or she can avail free first class train journey.
3. Pension equal to that of a Prime Minister— He or she is entitled to get pension equal to or 50% of Prime Minister of India’s salary.
4. Can attend Lok-Sabha proceedings
5. ‘Z’ status security cover-– Eligible for Z category protection, if needed.
6. Can attend flag hosting at Red fort– He or she is a special guest in Republic Day and Independence Day.
7. They’re very important to the nation-– He or she enjoys status equal to VVIP.
Holders of the Bharat Ratna in additional holds the seventh position which is jointly with former Prime Ministers, Cabinet Ministers of the Union, Leaders of Chief Opposition in the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha, Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission of India and the respective Chief Ministers of states.