As we all know, a new virus known as a severe acute respiratory syndrome, also known as SARS-CoV 2 has been doing the rounds now that is the result of a disease outbreak in China in December 2019. This disease is called as coronavirus or Covid-19.
It is a serious type of family of viruses that are known to cause severe illness such as severe acute respiratory syndrome(SARS), common cold and middle east respiratory syndrome(MERS).
The cases of Covid-19 has seemed to be increasing ever since and has been growing all over the world now. W.H.O. declared the disease to be a global pandemic in March 2020.
The scientists have been working ever since to find out the method to stop this disease. Doctors are working day and night to cure the patients. Doctors and scientists from all over the world have been trying to come up with an antidote or a vaccine but have not yet been able to come up with any such good news so far.
Now, the first question that pops up in our head is how does it spread? What are the symptoms? Is there any way to protect ourselves from it?
Well, we have got answers to all your questions, let’s have a look.
How does the disease spread?
The new coronavirus disease is said to be spread
- from person to person who is in close contact with each other
- it can also spread from contact with droplets from an infected person’s sneeze or cough
- touching of places or objects that have sneeze or cough droplets of an infected person
Read more about the Coronavirus and coronavirus anxiety
What are the symptoms of the disease?
The symptoms of the virus can range anywhere from mild illness to pneumonia. While some people are likely to recover easily while some may not. The symptoms f the disease are most likely to be observed within 14 days.
People experiencing Covid-19 may experience:
- coughing, fatigue, sore throat like symp toms
- shortness of breath
what precautions that we can take?
According to the CDC and WHO, these are the following precautions that you can take to avoid getting the pandemic disease:
- Avoid large gatherings
- Sanitize or wash your hands every 10 mins. Use a sanitizer with 60% alcohol content.
- Wear a mask whenever you go out
- Do not touch your face
- Avoid close contact with people (around 6 feet) with anyone who is sick or has such symptoms
- Clean and disinfect your regular places often
- Always cover your nose and mouth with a handkerchief or your elbow when you sneeze.
- Avoid eating uncooked or raw meat
- Maintain social distancing by staying at home.
What can I do I am or might be having coronavirus?
if you have been faced to any symptoms mentioned above then:
- Contact a doctor immediately and get yourself checked
- Inform your doctor if you have traveled internationally or you are in close contact with anyone.
- Inform the doctor before visiting so that they can disinfect and can be prepared so that others are not harmed.
If you have been exposed to the pandemic coronavirus then:
- Self-quarantine yourself
- Avoid going out or using any public transportations
- Wear a mask around other family members and maintain a distance from them
- Don’t share your room, bed bathroom, dishes, bathroom or anything with other people.
- Follow your doctor’s recommendations completely
- Keep a track of your illness
- You may need to be admitted in a hospital if you are very ill
As we can see, Covid-19 might be the biggest event in the history of mankind which can be very harmful as in a lot of cases of these diseases have experienced deaths. So do not take this lightly and follow the precautions strictly and maintain social distancing yourself right now to keep yourself and people around you safe and secure!