On Tuesday, the World Health Organization (WHO) said, that the last patient being treated for Ebola in Congo was discharged bringing the 19-month-old outbreak closer than ever to an end. The patient’s release from a hospital in the eastern city of Beni was celebrated by the hospital staff who sang, danced and drummed on trash cans. This marks the first instance where there have been no active cases reported since the start of August 2018 when the outbreak was declared.
During that time, 2,264 people were killed and nearly 1,200 more people were infected, making this the second-worst Ebola outbreak in history after the 2013-16 epidemic in West Africa which was deadlier, killing more than 11,000.
It has been 14 days without any new confirmed cases in Congo. After 42 days have passed without a new case — equivalent to two cycles of 21 days, the maximum incubation period for the virus, the outbreak can be declared over
At a briefing on Tuesday the director-general of the WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus hailed the developments as “very good news, not just for me, but for the whole world,” while the United Nations-appointed co-ordinator for response efforts said he would be stepping down to return to his previous job with the UN peacekeeping mission in Congo.
However, Tarik Jasarevic who is a spokesperson for WHO cautioned that the outbreak might not be over yet, stating difficulties in tracking cases in eastern Congo, where there is a widespread of militia violence. Even though cases have declined in the last month and Ebola was overshadowed by the rapid spread of coronavirus around the world, the WHO claimed that it continues to believe that the outbreak is an international health emergency.
This outbreak — Congo’s tenth since 1976 — came soon after another outbreak of a smaller range ended in another part of the country in 2018. Dense tropical forests of Congo are considered a natural reservoir for the disease. The patient released on Tuesday, after receiving her survivor’s certificate. Semida Masika said she was happy to be headed home.
Women With HIV Are Sterilized Without Consent In South Africa’s State Hospitals
According to an investigation conducted by the South African government’s Commission for Gender Equality, state hospitals have sterilised few pregnant women who were HIV positive without their consent. This investigation began after a 2015 complaint by Women’s Legal Centre a non-profit organization which was able to document around 48 cases even if the women were forced or coerced into giving consent for the procedure while being pregnant.
On Tuesday, in the 57-page report of the Commission for Gender Equality said that the medical staff has breached their duty of care and subjected women to inhumane treatment. Many of these doctors and nurses told these pregnant women that HIV positive women should not have children as there are really few chances of them surviving if they did not sterilize. According to an affidavit by one woman, many even signed forms that they did not understand, agreeing to the procedure as the nurse would dismiss all their concerns.
The commission asked the Ministry of Health to look into the matter and act accordingly while providing redressal to women who were affected. Zweli Mkhize who is the Health Minister said that he would meet the commissioner to further discuss the report later on Tuesday.
In a statement given by Nasreen Solomons who is an attorney in the Women’s Legal Centre’s sexual and reproductive health and rights program, said that though the report did not mention the number of women who were affected, we can still assume that the practice is still occurring.
According to statistics, the prevalence rate of HIV in South Africa is 13 per cent making it the country with the biggest HIV epidemic in the world. In South Africa, around 7.7 million people live with this virus which caused AIDS. the impact of this epidemic on family and life expectancy has caused large stigmatization of those who are affected by the virus.
Nigerian Militant Attack Kills 30 Including a Pregnant Woman And Baby
On Sunday, people in Maiduguri-Damaturu highway in Auno village, Borno state were attacked by Boko Haram insurgents around 9:30 pm. These insurgents abducted men and women and killed 30 people including one pregnant woman and baby. Drivers who were sleeping in their parked vehicles got burned to death during the attack.
In statements given by eyewitnesses, the jihadists came in with bicycles and the started to attack travellers who stayed in the town since the road was closed by the Nigerian Army. Nigerian President Mohammadu Buhari condemned the attack. he even said that the Nigerian government has severely condemned such terrorist attacks caused by people like Boko Haram and other Islamic groups.
According to Dogo who is the Special Assistant of the Borno Governor Babagana Zulum, around 18 vehicles were burnt during the attack. He even said that Zulum visited the places and expressed the state and federal government’s promise to end the insurgency.
The attacks began with a loot of the village which was followed by setting the village on fire and burning vehicles, trucks which were transporting goods and food products that would be made available in nearby markets by next day. Three buses carrying women and children were taken away by the insurgents to Maiduguri where it was parked overnight.
Boko Haram militancy led to the displacement of ten thousands of residents in 2014. One of his attacks included the kidnapping of 112 chibok schoolgirls from northeast Nigeria. On Monday, Buhari also told the African Union’s Security Council in Addis Ababa that the government is working extensively to secure the release of all children and citizens who are held captive by terrorists. The Chief of Army Staff Major Gen. Tukur also claimed that Nigeria is winning this insurgency war against Boko Haram.
70 Yemeni Soldiers Killed in Missile Attack On Mosque By Houthi Rebels
According to medical as well as military sources, Houthi rebels have killed at least 70 Yemeni soldiers in a missile attack on a mosque in the central province of Marib. This attack was done to a mosque which was in a military camp in Marib which 170km east of Sanaa during the evening prayers on Saturday. The casualties were transported to Marib City hospital.
The fight between Yemen’s internationally recognised government backed by a Saudi-led military coalition and Iran-backed Houthis has been going on since 2014 when the rebels were able to seize the northern capital of Sanaa. According to the statement given to Saba News Agency, the Yemeni President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi condemns this cowardly terrorist attack. The report did not mention the death toll though.
The President calls the actions disgraceful saying that it is confirmed the Houthis do not want to achieve peace. On the other side, the Houthis did not make an immediate claim of responsibility. The President also said that the Houthis knows nothing but death and destruction and is a cheap Iranian tool in the region. According to Al Ekhbariya television, the attack was carried out with ballistic missiles and drones.
Several thousands of Yemeni people which mostly included civilians have been killed were millions have been displaced since 2015 when Saudi Arabia along with its allies gets involved to help the Yemeni government fight the conflict against the Houthi rebels. The Saudi led coalition tried to restore the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi as the Houthis capture the capital Sanaa now the government is based in the port city of Aden.
The Houthis who still control the important Yemen urban centres deny being puppets of Iran claiming to fight against the corrupt system. This conflict in words of the United Nations is the world’s worst humanitarian crisis pushing the country to the edge of famine.
Somali Government’s Journalist Detention Reaches A Record in 2019
On Friday The Journalists’ Syndicate told Reuters that the western supported Somali government forces have beaten and detained a huge number of Journalists last year which is considered to be as a record. They claim that this is done to suppress scrutiny over the government’s security record ahead of elections this year.
For several years the al Shabaab, which is an al-Qaeda linked insurgency group has been accused of killing a number of Somali journalists. Out of the journalists killed, two of them were among those killed in the bombing last year, currently, the new enemy of journalists in the country is none other than government forces.
According to the data compiled by Adballe Ahmed Mumuin who is the secretary-general of Somali Journalists Syndicate, an unprecedented number of 38 journalists were detained by state security forces. Most of them reported about bombings and insurgency while some also reported about corruption in the government.
After the year dual US-Somali citizen President Mohamed Abdullahi also known as Farmajo took power, in 2016 six journalists were detained but in 2017 the numbers rose to 12 by the end of 2016 and to 16 in 2017. According to Mummin, journalists are not allowed to report. The government also hardly release casualty figures from bombings like the truck bomb on Saturday which is claimed to have killed 90 people.
In his report which is due to release next week, journalists detained are not charged and are usually released after hours or days after their detention. In 2019, as many as 37 journalists were either shot or threatened at gunpoint or at worse beaten in Somalia, mostly by security forces. The report, however, does not mention figures from Somaliland. On the other hand, no government spokesperson has commented on the issue.
After Nizamuddin Mosque Event 35 people test positive for Coronavirus, 9 Died
Coronavirus has affected millions, but there are also some Coronavirus free countries
Sensex tops 870 points to 29,300 and Nifty reaches to 200 points to 8,400 in opening session.
Latest Bhojpuri chaita song 2020- ‘Bhatar Sala Sautin Ke Gehu Katata’ by Khesari Lal Yadav
NMDC advances Rs 200 cr. to Chhattisgarh Government towards royalty help in the fight against COVID-19
Latest Bhojpuri chaita song 2020- ‘Bhatar Sala Sautin Ke Gehu Katata’ by Khesari Lal Yadav
‘Genda Phool’: Badshah’s new song featuring Jacqueline Fernandez and Payal Dev
Yash starer K.G.F Chapter-2: release date and all you need to know
RRR: Alia Bhatt shares motion poster of S.S Rajamouli’s upcoming movie
Bhula Dunga’ featuring Sidharth Shukla and Shehnaaz Kaur Gill
Get more Headlines
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
- TamilRockers1 week ago
TamilRockers 2020 Website: Who are They? Why Are They So Hard To Stop?
- Entertainment4 days ago
Cinemas in Shanghai to Re-Open After the Coronavirus Outbreak
- Entertainment3 days ago
Lizzie Borden Case Truth Exposed in 48 Hours Special
- China1 week ago
Man dies from hantavirus in China: know about this virus