Herbal Green Tea Health Benefits, Research
Tea is the most preferred beverage across the world besides water and coffee. Over the past many centuries, green Herbal tea is used as a traditional medicine in countries like China and India and popular even now. The exclusive genetic makeup of the green tea hailed it to be the healthiest beverage in the world.
What makes it extraordinary?
Generally, all tea like oolong tea, black tea is obtained by oxidation of the dried leaves and buds of camellia sinesis bushes. The level of oxidation determines the ability of the tea. The length of the processing time gives the tea it’s distinct taste, appearance, and quality. Green tea is extracted from the unoxidised leaves hence loaded with more antioxidants and many nutrients. The chemical constituents of green tea are flavonoids of four types and 30% is polyphenols including natural antioxidants like catechin named EGCG (EpiGallactoChinGallate). EGCG is believed to be responsible for the unique property of green tea. Catechin like antioxidants deemed to decrease the free radicals present in our body thereby protecting the molecules from damage. Hence used as herbal medicine.
Windfalls of Green Tea:
Green tea is one of those herbal medicines whose benefits are beyond the listing. Right from minor ailments like headache, cold and fever, digestion to severe chronic heart disease and certain types of cancers. The research is still going on the extraordinary potency of green tea. The listing below the benefits of consuming green tea.
Minor illnesses managed by green tea are
- Relieve the Headache.
- Controls nausea.
- Aids digestion
- Boost immunity
- Green tea is antiaging- keeps you younger
- Fights viral and bacterial infections.
- Keeps you hydrated.
- Resist cold and flu.
- Avoids depression and anxiety.
- Removes dental plaque.
- Prevents acne outbursts.
- Improves the quality of sleep.
Apart from these ailments, green Herbal tea is supposed to have a significant role in the management of chronic and dreadful diseases. Enumerating them below
- Safeguard against Cardiovascular diseases: The EGCG present in the green tea lowers the LDL and triglycerides thereby protecting against atherosclerosis i.e. plaque formation in the arteries, most common cause of the cardiovascular diseases like stroke and cardiac failure.
- Defense against Degenerative brain disorders: a study in mice shows that green tea protects brain cells from dying and restores damaged cells hence works by delaying the worsening of Alzheimer and Parkinson disease.
- Say no to the pain of Arthritis: Polyphenols found in green herbal tea reduces inflammation and slow down the damage of cartilage by blocking the molecule responsible for joint injury in people with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Warrior of Cancers: antioxidants found in green tea like EGCG plays a vital role in the treatment and management of certain cancers. It decreases the levels of insulin-like growth factors-1 (IGF-1) and increases the binding proteins thus reducing the risk of developing breast, colon, prostate and lung cancer. Furthermore, EGCG curtails the expression of compounds involved in the metastasis of cancer. As per the study in cancer research, March 2005, EGCG inhibits an enzyme dihydrofolate reductase which is a target of most of anti-cancer drugs and acts by inhibiting the fundamental cancer survival proteins thus preventing the growth of the cancerous cell.
- Manage Diabetes mellitus: green herbal tea enhances insulin sensitivity and balances blood glucose levels especially prevent the spike in fasting blood sugar.
- Master controller of Cholesterol and weight: green tea decreases the level of low-density lipids (LDL, bad cholesterol) and triglycerides. And also increases the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol by facilitating the fat oxidation and defends from many diseases. Since the fat level decreases it’s an ally for weight loss.
- Green tea for a healthy heart: green tea prevents blood clot formation inside the blood vessels and staves off multiple sclerosis which is a leading cause of several heart diseases.
- Protects from Flu: green herbal tea is considered to protect yourself against viral infections caused by herpes simplex, HIV-1, Epstein Barr etc. L-theanine of green tea activates human gamma-delta T-lymphocytes to proliferate and produce interferon-gamma (If-G); a potent antimicrobial cytokine that acts as the first line of defense against blood-borne infections. Likewise, Polyphenols block the hemagglutinin enzyme by inhibiting the ability to infect the other cells and also alters the composition of the viral cell membrane by suppressing viral RNA synthesis.
- Regulate blood pressure: green herbal tea produces a relaxing effect on the blood vessels causing vasodilation and keeps check on the elevation of blood pressure. Signa for green tea consumption: how much and when?
Though you can enjoy herbal green herbal tea anytime but is believed to have a great impact on our metabolism when taken in the morning or early afternoon. It’s even beneficial to drink before getting to bed if you are suffering from any sleep disorders. However, anything in excess can flip it merits and can harm us. So, drinking up to 6 cups is ideal to reap it’s health benefits exceeding the maximum of 10cups I.e. around 2.3 liters.
Green tea contraindications- time for the alert:
- Caffeine sensitive people: As green tea contains little amount of caffeine, it may elicit anaphylactic reactions or may cause anxiety, insomnia, irritability and upset stomach in people, who are sensitive to caffeine.
- Green tea interacts with certain drugs: Patients taking CNS stimulants like modafinil and amphetamine consumes green tea, it may cause rapid heartbeat and high blood pressure.
- It also lowers the levels of antihypertensive drugs like nadolol, thereby interfering with its activity.
- Pregnant women need to be careful: It may reduce the bioavailability of folic acid in pregnant women which sometimes may cause miscarriages.
Green tea is more popular now a day and is available in various forms in the right from tea bags to supplement capsules. Selection of organic green herbal tea devoid of any insecticide or pesticide usage is essential to reap the multitude of benefits of green herbal tea. If you have any medical condition or taking any medicines, it is recommended to talk to your health professional before adding green tea in your diet.