Diabetes is characterized through abnormal blood sugar level (high). It has become a big issue here in India as most of the population is suffering from this disease. In this article, we will study about this disease, its causes, symptoms, and its management.
What is diabetes?
It is a chronic disease which happens when the pancreas produces an inadequate amount of insulin or no insulin, which leads to high blood sugar level.
Types of diabetes:
- Pre-diabetes: It is a condition where the blood glucose level of an individual is above the normal limit of an individual but lower than an individual having diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes: Early diabetes / Juvenile diabetes/ Diabetes Mellitus is known as Type 1 diabetes. It is an autoimmune disease (A disorder of body in which immune system attacks our own body healthy cells assuming them as foreign bodies), in this type of diabetes Beta cells found in Pancreas are destroyed by the immune system. It usually affects youngsters below 40 years.
- Type 2 diabetes: It is a disease which can lead to various health problems. This type of diabetes is insulin resistant. It usually happens to people above 40 years of age.
- Gestational diabetes: It is also known as diabetes during pregnancy.
Causes of diabetes
There are many causes or reasons for diabetes but the main reason for diabetes in today’s generation is highly stressful life and other causes are following:
- Overweight/ Obesity
- High Blood Pressure
- Poor/ unhealthy life style
- Over dependent on medication
- Poor diet
Symptoms of diabetes
One may experience many symptoms when suffering from diabetes. most prominent symptom one may experience if suffering from diabetes are frequent urination during the night and other symptoms are as follows:
- Frequent Urination
- Increased hunger & thirst
- Blur Vision
- Itching area around genital areas
- Suddenly lost in weight
- Pain in belly
- The frequent offset of vaginal infection (UTI)
Foods to be avoided :
- White bread, Pasta, Rice
- Flavored Yoghurt
- Dairy products such as cow milk etc.
Foods to manage Diabetes:
- Barley water
- Aloe Vera
- Indian blackberry seed powder
- Bitter gourd juice
Lifestyle & Diet modifications to avoid & control diabetes:
- Regular exercise
- Control stress level
- Healthy diet (Fiber-rich food & fruits)
- Sufficient amount of water intake
- Sufficient amount of fruits, vegetables rich in Vitamin A, B & C, Folic acid etc.
Diabetes is a manageable disease if one adopts a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise and above healthy eating habits. If you have diabetes you need not to worry, see a doctor and make a healthy lifestyle and you will be fit and fine.