PhD Admission 2020: PhD also is known as Doctor of Philosophy is a doctorate degree in a wide variety of academic fields granted by various universities and colleges in India and abroad. The PhD program is a distinctive research-based program that includes research papers and presentations which are published and presented at renowned journals and conferences. Regarded as one of the topmost qualifications, candidates need to complete the course with a maximum span of 4-5 years.
If you want to apply in PhD, check all the details below about the PhD admission eligibility criteria, PhD entrance exams, popular PhD courses in different fields, and list of colleges and universities offering a PhD.
PhD Admission 2020 Eligibility Criteria
The candidates who want to pursue a PhD in the subject/ field of their choice needs to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- A Master’s degree is required for admission into the doctoral programme with a specific percentage (or equivalent CGPA) stated in some universities.
- Some colleges also state that candidates need to have a Masters in Philosophy (M.Phil) to pursue a PhD course/ field/ stream in which they want to pursue.
- To pursue a PhD in the field of engineering and technology, the candidates should have a valid GATE score and have completed a degree in M.Tech/M.E in any engineering branch.
- Candidate must qualify the all India examination, like NET (National Eligibility Test for Lectureship) conducted by NTA for admission into reputable universities.
Overview of PhD Course Structure
The whole PhD program comprises of course work, thesis work, preparation of Research proposal, pedagogy and qualifying examination. The research work includes an original contribution to the knowledge submitted for the doctoral degree. The performance of the students is checked by continuous evaluation throughout the semesters.
PhD Admission Entrance Exams
The PhD entrance exams are generally divided into two parts: Research Aptitude and Subject Specific.
Part A- Research Aptitude consists of sections of numerical ability, logical reasoning, and language proficiency.
Part B- Subject Specific consists of technical questions in the subject which may contain multiple-choice questions and explanatory type questions of the qualifying course.
The following are some of the PhD entrance exams that candidates are required to give to purse PhD in specific colleges or universities.
|IISC PhD Entrance Exam||Symbiosis PhD Entrance Exam|
|JNU PhD Entrance Exam||AIIMS PhD Entrance Exam|
|BITS Pilani PhD Entrance Examination||UGC NET Exam|
|ISM Dhanbad Ph.D Admission Test||NIPER PhD Entrance Exam|
|CSIR-UGC NET Exam||NDRI PhD Entrance Exam|
|ICT Mumbai PhD Entrance Exam||(IIIT) Delhi – PhD Admission Test|
Popular PhD Admission Courses
The following are popular PhD courses in the field of engineering, humanities, business and management, and science.
PhD Courses in Engineering
|Production Engineering||Engineering and Technology|
|Ceramic Engineering||Program in Quantitative Techniques|
|Computer Science Engineering||Aeronautical and Automobile Engineering|
|Chemical Engineering||Mechanical Engineering|
|Civil Engineering||Genetic Engineering|
PhD courses in Humanities
|Humanities||Humanities & Life Sciences||Social Work|
|Fine Arts||English||International Relations and Politics|
|Social Sciences||Humanities & Social Sciences||Public and Economic Policy|
|Mass Communication||Disaster Management||Fashion Technology|
PhD Courses in Business & Management
|Business Administration||Aviation Management|
|Accounting & Financial Management||Logistics & Supply Chain Management|
|Commerce||Commerce and Management|
|Management||Marketing/ Brand Management|
PhD courses in Science
|Bioinformatics||Bioscience||Mathematical & Computational Sciences|
|Environmental Science and Engineering||Applied Chemistry & Polymer Technology|
Other PhD courses include:
- Legal Studies
- Constitutional Law
- Law and Governance
PhD Universities in India:
- AIIMS, New Delhi
- Jamia Hamdard University
- MMU, Ambala
- Amity School of Engineering & Technology
- PEC University of Technology
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
- SRM University, Sonipat
- Institute of Microbial Technology
- Lingaya’s University
- Chandigarh College of Engineering & Technology
- Chandigarh University
PhD Colleges in India:
The following are the most popular PhD colleges in India you can apply for:
- IIT Kharagpur – Indian Institute of Technology (IITKGP)
- IIT Guwahati – Indian Institute of Technology (IITG)
- Anna University
- IIT Hyderabad – Indian Institute of Technology (IITH)
- BITS Pilani – Birla Institute of Technology and Science
Top PhD Rated Courses
The following are the top PhD rated courses:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Engineering
- PhD in Computer Science Engineering (CSE)
- PhD in Electrical Engineering
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering
- D. in Civil Engineering
PhD Job Prospects
PhD courses in India open avenues for multiple job profiles from CEO to Directors, to Professors to Researchers to Scholars to Scientists, Lecturer & Professor.
- Philosophical Journalist
- Researcher & Scientist
- Independent Consultant
- Industrial R&D Lab professionals
- Journalist, Editor & Critic
- Author & Writer
- Human Service Worker