Online Course 2020: IIM Bangalore has invited interested students to apply for Introduction to Retail Management online course, which is being conducted through the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) (Swayam Platform) project of the Ministry of Human Resource and Development (MHRD). Learners will also receive a certificate upon successful completion of the course conducted by Dr. Ashis Mishra, a faculty member in the Marketing Area at the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB).
Dr. Ashis Mishra has published over 10 papers in various international and national journals of repute. His current projects include ‘A Dynamic Model for Forecasting in Indian Retail Sector’, ‘Technographic Segmentation of Indian Retail Consumers’and ‘Store Atmospherics as a Tool for Retail Productivity’.
With @SWAYAMMHRD's ‘Introduction to Retail Management’ Course, understand how the retail business works, core issues/challenges involved, key terms and terminologies & more!
— Dr. Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank (@DrRPNishank) May 16, 2020
The students who take an online course on Introduction to Retail Management will learn basic concepts of retailing, how a retail business works; challenges and core issues of the Indian retail sector. The course is based on 6-week duration.
Retail Management Course Highlights
|Course Status :||Upcoming|
|Course Type :||Core|
|Duration :||6 weeks|
|Start Date :||15 May 2020|
|End Date :||31 Oct 2020|
|Exam Date :||07 Nov 2020|
|Enrollment Ends :||31 Aug 2020|
|Category :||Management Studies|
Check the course layout below:
Week 1- Understanding Retail Business
- What is retailing?
- How does retail business work
- Characteristics of Retail Business
- Roles & Responsibilities in Retail Business.
- Retail Focus/Significance of Retail Business
- Manufacturer – Retailer Relationship Change
- Terminologies in Retail Business
Week 2- Retail Formats & Strategies
- Philosophy of retail formats classification
- Various basis of classification of retail formats
- Ownership based classification
- Strategy mix based classification-Food & Grocery
- Strategy mix based classification-General Merchandise
- Non-traditional classification
- Evolution of retail formats
Week 3- Retail Competition & Retail Strategy
- Business model-Planning-Strategy
- Retail Competition
- Retail strategy
Week 4- Financial Strategy for retail business
- Strategic profit model
- Profit management path
- Asset management path
Week 5- Merchandise Management
- Merchandise Financials
- Merchandise process
- Inventory management
- Store plan
Week 6- Retail Pricing & Promotion
- Factors Influencing retail pricing
- Pricing methods
- Pricing implementation & adjustments
- Communication strategy
- In store promotions
- Elements of retail promotion mix.
How to Get an IIM Bangalore Course Certificate?
After completion of the syllabus, a computer-based examination will be conducted which include multiple-choice questions, fill in the blanks etc. The exam centre will be allotted to the candidates and have to appear with Hall ticket and Government Photo Identification Card (Example: Passport, Driving License, PAN card, Aadhaar-ID, Voter ID, with your Name, photograph, date of birth, and signature) for verification
Weightage: 25% weightage for weekly assignment +
75% weightage for final exam.
Passing Marks: If learners score minimum 40% Weekly Assessment and minimum 40% in Final Exam, then only one will be eligible for IIM Bangalore certificate.
Check the final score below:
- Final score < 40%: NO certificate.
- Final score between 40% -49.99%: Grade D.
- Final score between 50% -59.99%: Grade C.
- Final score between 60% -84.99%: Grade B
- Final score 85% and above: Grade A