If you are a taxpayer and you have not linked your PAN to Aadhaar, get it done as soon as possible. As the last date for linking the PAN card with the Aadhaar card was 31st March, but the date has been extended to 20th June.
According to media reports, some senior officials of the tax department say that now the last date will not be extended further. Those who will not be able to link Aadhaar-PAN will be fined which will be much higher.
To better track people’s financial transactions, the government has made it mandatory to link Aadhaar and PAN. Taxpayers are being given time to make the PAN-Aadhaar link again and again. However, if the taxpayers do not link the PAN-Aadhaar by June 30, 2021, then they would be charged a fine of Rs 1,000.
In the Income Tax Act 1961, recently the government has made a provision for a penalty by making changes. To impose a penalty for not linking the PAN-Aadhaar, the government has added a new section 234H in the Income Tax Act.
How to get Aadhaar-PAN link
For PAN-Aadhaar link, UIDPAN <SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar number> <SPACE> <10 digit PAN> will have to message 567678 or 56161.
How to link online
- Go to https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home.
- Click ‘Link Aadhaar’ in the Quick Links section on the left.
- On the page that opens, fill in PAN, Aadhaar number, and your name on Aadhaar.
- If only the year of birth is mentioned in the base, then this option has to be ticked – ‘I have only year of birth in Aadhaar card’.
- Enter captcha code and click on a link basis.
- Now a confirmation page will open, in which it will appear that the PAN is successfully linked to Aadhaar.
- PAN and Aadhaar can also be linked by going to the service center of PAN service provider, NSDL or UTIITSL.
- For this, the form ‘Annexure-I’ has to be filled.
- A copy of some supporting documents such as PAN card and Aadhaar card needs to be attached.
- This process is not free.
- You will have to pay a fixed fee.
- The fee will depend on whether PAN or Aadhaar details have been improved at the time of linking.
Remember that for both PAN and Aadhaar linking, both the documents have the same demographic details like name, gender and date of birth.
How to find out if the Aadhaar-PAN is linked or not?
- Go to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Click on the link Aadhaar of the Quick Links option written on the left.
- After this, a new page will open on the screen.
- There will be a hyperlink at the top of this page.
- The hyperlink must have written in English that you have already requested to link Aadhaar, then click here to know the status.
- After this, the next page will open.
- On this page, you have to submit your Aadhaar and PAN number.
- After this, you will get the information about the Aadhaar-PAN link status.